Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease (CMT)
Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease (CMT) is a group of conditions that give rise to weakness and wasting of the muscles below the knees and often those of the hands. It is also commonly referred to as hereditary motor and sensory neuropathy (HMSN). The condition is hereditary and affects the motor and sensory peripheral nerves. Many affected people also have loss of feeling in the hands and feet.
The Muscular Dystrophy Campaign provides advice and support for individuals living with CMT and their families, and for health professionals. We lead the search for treatments and cures for muscle-wasting conditions.
In this section you'll find the latest information about CMT and helpful resources.
The Muscular Dystrophy Campaign supports individuals and families by:
- funding research projects and providing information on research progress
- supporting the training and development of the next generation of scientists and funding clinical trials co-ordinators in the drive towards potential treatments for muscle-wasting conditions
- working with, and providing training and education for, NHS-funded care advisors
- taking a leading role in driving NHS support for neuromuscular networks and spearheading campaigns to improve access and quality of specialist care
- offering advice and information and enabling people to overcome difficulties through our advocacy service
- providing grants towards specialist equipment to help people to live as independently as possible
- helping people to connect with each other through our local Muscle Groups, online via TalkMD, at conferences and events; and through Trailblazers, our national network of young disabled people.
Subscribe to receive quarterly Target MD and Target Research magazines by post, with news about research and health care, helpful products, social and family issues, and more...
There is a role for everyone in the fight against muscle-wasting conditions. We are a small but strong community of people in the UK and we are determined to win this fight, together.
- connecting with others affected by CMT
- being an advocate for our campaigning and media work
- sharing your story to inspire others
- establishing a family fund
- making a donation towards research and support
- participating in fundraising events
Support and Information
We are here for you and your family. For more information about CMT or for support, contact our freephone support line or send us an email (Monday to Friday 8.30am - 6pm): 0800 652 6352 (freephone) firstname.lastname@example.org
Beating muscle-wasting conditions such as CMT is a massive challenge requiring a collective effort, but with advances made in research over the last 20 years there has never been a better time to join us. Together, we can win the fight.
- Find a clinical trial See an overview of current clinical trials into muscle-wasting conditions in the UK and around the world
- Research we are funding See the current world-class pioneering research into potential treatments and cures that we are funding
- Publications Read our free publications including our expert factsheets about medical conditions and comprehensive guides on adapting your home
- Your stories Read about families and individuals who are affected by muscle-wasting conditions