Becker muscular dystrophy
The muscular dystrophies are a group of genetic disorders, which cause muscle weakness. Becker muscular dystrophy was first recognised in 1956 and is now known to be a much milder variant of the Duchenne type of muscular dystrophy. The condition causes weakness and wastage of the muscles. Becker muscular dystrophy is generally slowly progressive and affects only males.
The Muscular Dystrophy Campaign leads the search for treatments and cures for the muscular dystrophy and related neuromuscular conditions. We provide expert advice and support for individuals and families living with Becker muscular dystrophy, for carers and health professionals.
In this section you'll find the latest information about Becker muscular dystrophy and helpful resources.
The Muscular Dystrophy Campaign supports families by:
- funding research projects and providing regular information about research progress
- supporting the training and development of the next generation of scientists and funding clinical trials co-ordinators in the drive towards potential treatments
- working with, and providing training and education for, NHS-funded care advisors
- taking a leading role in driving NHS support for neuromuscular networks and spearheading campaigns to improve access and quality of specialist care
- offering advice and information and enabling people to overcome difficulties through our advocacy service
- providing grants towards specialist equipment to help people to live as independently as possible
- helping people to connect with each other through our local Muscle Groups, online via TalkMD, at conferences and events; and through Trailblazers, our national network of young disabled people.
Receive the latest research news by signing up now for e-updates.
Subscribe to receive quarterly Target MD and Target Research magazines by post, with news about research and health care, helpful products, social and family issues, and more.
There is a role for everyone in the fight against muscle-wasting conditions. We are a small but strong community of people in the UK and we are determined to win this fight, together.
There are opportunities to get involved in a variety of ways, such as:
- enrolling in the DMD/Becker patient registry
- connecting with others affected by Becker muscular dystrophy
- being an advocate for our campaigning and media work
- sharing your story to inspire others
- establishing a family fund
- participating in fundraising events
For care and campaigning activities and research applicable to Becker muscular dystrophy, we are seeking to raise a total fund of £300K through donations and fundraising activities. Please make a donation to support this work. For further information firstname.lastname@example.org.
Support and information
We are here for you and your family. For more information about Becker muscular dystrophy or for support, contact our freephone support line or send us an email (Monday to Friday 8.30am - 6pm): 0800 652 6352 (freephone) email@example.com
Beating muscle-wasting conditions is a massive challenge requiring a collective effort, but there has never been a better time to join us - together, we can win the fight.
- Find a clinical trial See an overview of current clinical trials into muscle-wasting conditions in the UK and around the world
- Research we are funding See the current world-class pioneering research into potential treatments and cures that we are funding
- Publications Read our free publications including our expert factsheets about medical conditions and comprehensive guides on adapting your home
- Your stories Read about families and individuals who are affected by muscle-wasting conditions