Duchenne muscular dystrophy
Duchenne muscular dystrophy is a neuromuscular condition caused by the lack of a protein called dystrophin. It is a serious condition that causes progressive muscle weakness. About 100 boys with Duchenne muscular dystrophy are born in the United Kingdom each year.
The Muscular Dystrophy Campaign leads the search for treatments and cures for Duchenne muscular dystrophy. We provide expert advice and support for individuals and families living with Duchenne muscular dystrophy, for carers and health professionals.
Watch this short video of Professor Kay Davies explaining Duchenne muscular dystrophy and how research into this condition is progressing.
In this section you'll find the latest information about Duchenne muscular dystrophy and helpful resources.
The Muscular Dystrophy Campaign supports families by:
- funding Duchenne muscular dystrophy research projects and providing regular information about research progress
- supporting the training and development of the next generation of scientists and funding clinical trials co-ordinators in the drive towards potential treatments
- working with, and providing training and education for, NHS-funded care advisors
- taking a leading role in driving NHS support for neuromuscular networks and spearheading campaigns to improve access and quality of specialist care
- offering advice and information and enabling people to overcome difficulties through our advocacy service
- providing grants towards specialist equipment to help people to live as independently as possible
- helping people to connect with each other through our local Muscle Groups, online via TalkMD, at conferences and events; and through Trailblazers, our national network of young disabled people.
Receive the latest Duchenne muscular dystrophy news by signing up now for e-updates.
Subscribe to receive quarterly Target MD and Target Research magazines by post, with news about Duchenne muscular dystrophy research and health care, helpful products, social and family issues, and more.
There is a role for everyone in the fight against Duchenne muscular dystrophy and other muscle-wasting conditions. We are a small but strong community of people in the UK and we are determined to win this fight, together.
There are opportunities to get involved in a variety of ways, such as:
- enrolling in the North Star project
- enrolling in the DMD Registry managed by Action Duchenne
- connecting with others affected by Duchenne muscular dystrophy
- being an advocate for our campaigning and media work
- sharing your story to inspire others
- participating in fundraising events
- establishing a family fund
- supporting the Duchenne Research Breakthrough Fund
Duchenne Research Breakthrough Fund
The Muscular Dystrophy Campaign is committed to accelerating the pace in development of effective treatments for Duchenne muscular dystrophy and we have established the Duchenne Research Breakthrough Fund with three goals, and an initial £1.6 million investment target.
Support and Information
The Muscular Dystrophy Campaign is here for you and your family. For more information about Duchenne muscular dystrophy or for support, contact our freephone support line or send us an email (Monday to Friday 8.30am - 6pm): 0800 652 6352 (freephone) email@example.com
- Find a clinical trial See an overview of current clinical trials into muscle-wasting conditions in the UK and around the world
- Research we are funding See the current world-class pioneering research into potential treatments and cures that we are funding
- Publications Read our free publications including our expert factsheets about medical conditions and comprehensive guides on adapting your home
- Your stories Read about families and individuals who are affected by muscle-wasting conditions